Saturday, March 13, 2010

The big 3-0


Thirty doesn't actually feel any different that 29 but it sure sounds a lot older. There are a few things I didn't get to in my 20s, like a printmaking class and hang-gliding that I hope to accomplish in my early 30s. Alice's arrival this year means we're in for big changes and I'm looking forward to the new path. There are some questions still looming (like childcare) but I think Mark and I will really enjoy ourselves as our lives change this decade.

I got to have two fun birthday dinners this week. We had some new friends over Wednesday night and enjoyed the conversation even more than the homemade cheesecake! Mahmood Karzai's younger brother turned down a position at the family restaurant in Cambridge to remain in Afghanistan. He's now that country's president -- a job apparently much more suited to his skills. The Helmand restaurant was where Mark and I celebrated my 30th birthday with friends on Thursday.

Appetizer: Naan and Kaddo (above) Pan-fried then baked baby pumpkin seasoned with sugar and served on yogurt garlic sauce, topped with ground beef sauce.

Dessert: Cake (below) Homemade cardamom and pineapple cake served with ice cream on pomegranate sauce.

Anna & Nate, Em & M, Jon & Katie


4 comments:

Darby said...

Yum, sounds like my kind of celebrating!!! Happy Birthday!

Randa said...

What a great blog entry, Emalee. It's so beautiful--you know how I love flowers and food--especially ethnic food! And I'm so thrilled to hear that you had such a gloriously happy 30th birthday celebration.

lasyoung said...

What a great way to celebrate. I'm with Randa- I love the flowers & food. I know this year will be extra special. I love your black & white dress- you & Alice look so pretty in it:-). xo

Anonymous said...

I need to come visit you and eat there!

Betsy