Monday, September 22, 2008

Animal Conservation & X-ray


"White Oak Conservation Center conserves threatened and endangered species of wildlife by maintaining scientifically managed captive populations that provide opportunities for research, training, reintroduction and involvement in field conservation programs." http://wocenter.org/

I got to teach folks at White Oak how to use the x-ray I sell last week. I was asked not to publish photos online, so I'll email if you'd like pictures of the beautiful endangered animals on site at this private animal conservation center in Florida.

White Oak has different African animals to help reproduce endangered species:
zebras;
white & black Rhinoceros (different only by their mouth, not their color); antelope-types (Lesser Kudus, Roan Antelope, & Gerenuks);
giraffes;
the forest short-necked giraffe cousin- Okapi **especially cool, look this one up!;
cheetahs; tigers;
and birds.

I learned so much. They x-ray eggs to make sure the fetal chick is positioned correctly to get out of the shell when it matures. They can manipulate the shell if necessary. That was a COOL x-ray :).

There must be 120 of a species to maintain genetic diversity or the population with naturally become extinct. Without 120+ they become inbred and bad traits become dominant and hurt the animals survival. This is a threat to the Florida Panther. I got to x-ray and touch the Mississippi Sandhill Crane. There are only 200 of these in the world!!

University of Florida sends resident wildlife veterinarians to White Oak for their 3rd year of vet school. They finish with a year at Disney. Oh to be from Florida; fun! Conservationists from around the world study here and partner for study, reproduction, and rehabilitation. This week they are hosting an International Rhino Meeting. . .


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How exciting- what a treat to be related to someone who does such interesting and meaningful work- yay :-)! Love from Leigh Ann & Mama Ann

Anonymous said...

I bet you enjoyed this. Makes your job fun.

Anonymous said...

Amazing. I didn't know you were doing things like this, Emalee. I can't wait to show Katherine!

I got another amazing e-mail from Will this morning. Pix of Kuwait, the Persian Gulf, and our Will. Wow.

What a day for e-mail! I'm sorry I don't have anything special to offer in return. Although our pears are coming in, and we're making pear gingerbread from our homegrown fruit. Not endangered species, and not the Middle East--but 8:00 am in the morning with the dew still on the garden is pretty special. Just about the closest thing to Eden I'll probably ever experience in this earth!