I recently finished reading Expecting Adam by Margaret Beck at the suggestion of my friend Betsy. It's a memoir of Margaret & John, a driven couple in graduate school at Harvard. They learn that their unborn child, Adam, has Downs Syndrome. I asked my mom to read it and she got scared since my sisters are pregnant. Don't be scared.
Margaret takes an honest, witty, personal approach to the time she had to reshape her view on what makes life valuable and important. She thought she was losing her mind as supernatural/spiritual events occurred to shatter all the intellectual and perfectionist-driven attitudes she held dear. I found myself wishing for an Adam to open my eyes to the positive, humorous, and unexpected blessings in life. I believe it's permanently altered my view on "different" children and how they impact our lives.
2 comments:
A great review of what sounds like a great book! I may have to add it to my amazon list!
It's a profound feeling to have the "windows" of your "box" opened. Thank goodness for such opportunities. Bert grew up with an aunt with Downs Syndrome, and an uncle with mental retardation. They both enriched the lives of all who knew them, especially his family. Thanks for telling us about Expecting Adam. Volunteering at Special Equestrians this summer has given me a new appreciation of the parents of those special children.
Post a Comment