Monday, September 27, 2010

Our First Five Weeks

 

This move is unlike anything I've done in my life. I've always moved for school or a job and that instantly brings some connection to the places I've settled. Mark has his classmates and I'm trying to find connection for myself and Alice. I've never known less about my home state than I do about Maryland. I'm not sure what's nearby, cultural norms, weather patterns, sports teams and more. People here in Maryland ask where we're from and I'm not sure what to say anymore. There will always be sweet home Alabama for me but it's been a decade since I lived there. In the seven years I've known Mark we've lived in Florida, Georgia, Massachusetts and now Maryland. I sometimes wonder how we got here and remember it's like most of our moves--God opened the door. I believe this move is the right thing for our family and fully support Mark's decision to pursue his Masters of Real Estate Development at the University of Maryland.

We've attended Good Hope Presbyterian Church for the last three weeks. I've never met more welcoming, hospitable people in my life. We like the preaching, Sunday School seems good, and the women there have opened there arms and included on their Wednesday morning stroll/playground time with their children and even a birthday party. I bet they don't even realize what a gift it is to have like-minded people to interact with as we learn our way in this new life.

We're fortunate to have visitors from Boston, Atlanta and Nashville coming to visit during the month of October. It's a great excuse to explore our area with friends and family while enjoying their company. I sometimes feel like our blog has turned into those baby-centric blogs I used to roll my eyes at in the past. We love Alice and she's the most constant thing in our lives right now. Hopefully we haven't run anybody off by posting too many pictures of her. Mark and I both really love our girl and look forward to the young lady she'll become. For now it's fun enjoying these moments as a sweet baby girl.

3 comments:

lasyoung said...

I love your updates- thanks! xo

Mary Beth said...

That's a pretty pic of your church! And don't you dare apologize for the content of your posts! That's the content of your life these days and that is A-OK! I'm just glad to see what's going on :-)

Randa said...

Thanks for posting the pic of your new church. When I talked to your mom last weekend, she told me how much you like it and the friends--especially the women around your age--that you're making there.

By all means keep sending the pix of Alice. It's delightful to see her grow!