Sunday, August 23, 2009

more Red Fire Farms

Cara, Velo the dog, Luke & Carrie--family of the farmer & our friends
Jackson enjoying his grilled corn remains.


If I had to have a large corsage mum for Homecoming with ribbon streamers to my knees, like we did in high school, I'd want this flower below.








I had a revelation this weekend. Luke & Carrie live down the street and called about 6:15pm on Friday night to see if we'd like to come to dinner. The farm's CSA leftovers gave Luke & Carrie tons more vegetables than they could eat so we helped consume the bounty. We husked corn, chopped peppers, onions, garlic, zucchini, tomatillos, carrots, lettuce and potatoes to make the best frittata with farm eggs for dinner with a big salad and cold wine. We sweated it out in the kitchen without AC to enjoy a cold beer and fun conversation. Mark fell asleep on the couch watching the Red Sox play the Yankees while we cleaned up the table at about 11:30pm when we'd finished our evening.

Last weekend Mark and I had a family for dinner and we slaved to get the house clean and straight and just right because it was their first time over and we didn't want their toddler picking up Jackson's hair every time she walked across the rug. Houses aren't always clean. Jackson sheds a lot. Dishes sometimes pile up in our sink. Life's more fun with when you're relaxed and enjoying yourself. A good meal sometimes just appears out of fresh ingredients and a little creativity. People remember the conversations and not the dust bunnies in the corner when they come over. I need to relax a little.

We went to a swimming hole with Luke's family after the Tomato Festival. Most of us didn't have bathing suits. I waded in to my knees, Mark fished, Jackson chased Velo the pup around the edge of the water. Some of them swam with their clothes on because the water was cool and "velvety" on a summer evening when the mosquitoes nibbled on our ankles. I need to relax.  What a great time to enjoy where we were, not care about who's around or what they might think. I like the fresh perspective that family brings to my days of trying to always "keep it together". 

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I hear you sister- me too!